Clonrose Developments have recently purchased the former St Clare’s Convent and Primary School in Newry.
The site which extends to 8.25 acres is in close proximity to Newry City Centre and once housed the accommodation for the Nuns of the Order of Saint Clare, known as ‘The Poor Clares’. A listed chapel forms part of the site along with two burial grounds and the former St Clare’s Primary School. Having moved to a new convent and primary school within the City of Newry, the site has lain vacant since 2011.
Clonrose Developments have submitted a planning application to Newry Mourne and Down Council for 89 Social and Affordable dwellings, together with a community hub. The scheme involves the sympathetic restoration of a listed Chapel building including with the retention of several mature trees. Planning Approval is expected in 2022 and construction will commence immediately upon receipt.
Did you know?
- The Order of Saint Clare established a convent on the site in High Street in 1829, prior to the establishment of the convent, the site formerly housed a theatre which opened in 1769 and a public house known as ‘The Popes Head Inn’.